Wednesday, December 2, 2015

YoYo's, Carbs, Portions and Weight Training.

So much information! So much frustration. It gets confusing even for me so here's why I always go back to basics. KISS is key. Keep It Simple Sweetie. Don't get all crazy this "new year" time.

YoYo's and Fad Diets and Savvy Sales
Turn off your t.v., put down the magazines and hide your credit card. Seriously, just stop. Think about the simplicity of what it really takes. The savvy sales team: They really know how to push your buttons to get you to buy buy buy, yet another product you don't use, doesn't work or you hurt yourself using. Companies pay people big bucks to use marketing, branding and psychology to get you to buy their stuff. If you want to check out some funny links on some crazy products people have actually bought Go HERE.

It's really unhealthy for your body to go back and forth, heavy to healthy. Not only is it bad for your heart and body, but it puts you in a cycle of self-sabotage and defeat. By eating to lose weight and boost metabolism, strength training correctly and doing cardio correctly you will establish and maintain healthy weight loss. Doing it the right way will ultimately save you lots of money, a bad heart possibly, and unhealthy habits and thinking patterns.

Carbs
There are good carbs out there. You know what they are? They are called vegetables. I know, I know, sigh...

Come close, shhh, I want to tell you a secret. Ready?  I, Cindy Sams, do not like veggies.  Nope, not so much. I mean, I'll go for organic (real) green beans sometimes or asparagus if I am out at a restaurant, and once in a blue moon a salad with some good stuff on it, but all in all - not a fan.

However, I've found this great little contraption called a Juicer!.  I'll juice anything it seems. Collard greens, Dandelion leaves, Bok Choy, Jalapenos, Cucumbers, Lemons, Parsley, Cilantro, Kale, Ginger Root - scary stuff! HA! Sheer Goodness to my belly, skin, eyes, everything! Oh, except beets. Beets are just gross. (but man, are they good for you!) Darn it. I've got a great beet juice recipe actually that's refreshing - without the beets! Haha, just kidding.  Here it is: 1 beet, 2 large oranges, 1" chunk of ginger root, 2 large carrots. Personally, I cut the beet in 1/3 and throw in 1/2 cup of pineapple to sweeten it up further.... then I can down it. ;) :) Have at it.

So, while most people think of carbs as just potatoes, pasta, rice or breads of any sort... I get to take them to the magical land of CARBS such as vegetables - which include all of them; legumes like lentils and beans which contain complex carbs along with fiber and protein; whole grains - like oats and quinoa.

Oh, and I would be terribly remiss if I didn't mention my fave: Protein!White meat is the leanest, best choice. Even dark meat can be a good, but skip the skin. Both chicken and turkey give you about 25 grams of high-quality protein, along with B vitamins and selenium. Roast a whole chicken for Sunday dinner, use the leftovers to snack on. Yummo!

Portions
Oh. This one is a biggie. It's where you earn the "Hangry Award" as I jokingly tell my clients. Your body will acclimate to whatever you do to it. It probably already has. So eating more will make you larger. Eating less, will make you smaller. Either way, your body will acclimate to what you give and do to it.

Lower, yet high nutrient quality, calories consumed is the key.  Not less frequent meals and larger portions like most do. Frequent and smaller portions! This keeps your blood sugar under control. No spiking or crashing. Both are bad for your bod. Let's be honest - most people eat too much at one sitting, and then do it over and over again. Look at your plate. Can you still see your plate? If not, scrape off half of everything on plate and then... eat. Eat slowly. It's okay, you'll be perfectly fine. But here's a little picture for you to print out just case: Portion Chart

Weight Training
You strength train with weights to help change your metabolic rate. Muscles help your body burn fat. Weights help change the shape of your body.  Looking at this picture will help you understand why people want to shed fat and build some lean muscle... it takes up LESS ROOM on your bod!


When you lose weight you will pull from muscles, that is one reason why you strength train. Lifting weights 3-4 times a week will also keep you in maintenance mode once fat is shed from the body. Strong, lean, vibrant and healthy!  Doesn't that sound wonderful?

Don't ever stop lifting. Weight training is the key to maintaining and keeping strong and healthy! But first, make sure you know how to do that. A good trainer will teach you the hows, the whys and what it feels like. Scroll Through for a Peek at the equipment you'll need to know how to use!

I was asked the other day during an interview what my advice was to someone listening in right now?  My answer was, get started. If you're on your third or tenth try, start again, start now. 

If it's been done before by someone, anyone - that means it's been done! So you can do it too. 

Stop the yoyo-ing, eat your carbs ;), keep portion sizes smaller and frequent to keep sugars from dropping or spiking, and lift some weights!  

Let me know if you'd like some help. It's what I've done for twelve years and what I do every day for people.

Hugs!

Cindy :)






No comments: